Zoobreak is a 2009 children's novel by Gordon Korman and is the sequel to the 2008 book Swindle. The book was released on September 2009 by Scholastic and follows Savannah as she has to rescue her monkey after it's been kidnapped by the corrupt zoo keeper of a zoo boat. The entry was followed by Framed! in 2010. Zoobreak won a Arkansas's Charlie May Simon Children's Nook Award in 2012.
Savannah has lost her pet monkey named Cleopatra. Griffin Bing and his friend Ben Dupree are trying to help her get it back, but they have no such luck until they take a field trip to a zoo boat that has made a stop in Long Island. Savannah makes a scene when she sees the zoo's newest attraction, "Eleanor", whom she believes is her monkey, Cleo. Griffin and Ben believe her after they see just how nasty the zoo keeper, Mr. Nastase really is. Griffin and Ben must gather the team of the strength, animal smarts, acting skills, the team leader, height, computer skills, and climbing. They do not realize the zoo is heavily guarded by a seemingly mean security guard named Klaus. Soon, they find out all the animals are pets stolen by Nastase, and Klaus knows nothing about it. So, now they must free all the animals from Nastase's cruel hands and get Cleo back. But the plan fails and they must not only free the entire zoo, but keep the animals hidden until they find a "better" zoo to stash the animals, and also stop Nastase from stealing all the animals from both zoos!
Reception for Zoobreak was mostly positive, with Kirkus Reviews giving a positive review and calling it "a Disney movie waiting to happen". The School Library Journal also praised the entry, saying that although parts of the book were predictable Korman made his main characters likable.
- ↑ Arkansas State Library. "Charlie May Simon Award". http://www.library.arkansas.gov/ChildrensBookAwards/Pages/CharlieMaySimonAward.aspx. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- ↑ "Review: Zoobreak". Horn Book Guide. http://bookverdict.com/details.xqy?uri=Product-8963532.xml. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- ↑ "Review: Zoobreak". Kidsreads.com. http://www.kidsreads.com/reviews/zoobreak. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- ↑ "Review: Zoobreak". Kirkus Reviews. https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/gordon-korman/zoobreak/. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- ↑ "Review: Zoobreak". School Library Journal. http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6704269.html?q=crossingham. Retrieved 30 September 2012.